Houseboat Insurance

Our houseboat insurance has been designed to protect you and the place you call home.

For enquiries, call us:
+44 (0)1732 223 650
For a boat insurance quote:

Why get houseboat insurance with HK-J?

Insure your houseboat with
Haven Knox-Johnston

When your boat becomes your home, there are so many more things to take into consideration. Luckily Haven Knox-Johnston have policies that are made for life aboard your houseboat. Our policies with ‘Floating Homes’ add on are designed to tackle those special risks that come with living on the water ensuring greater peace of mind knowing your cover is ‘home-shaped’ around you.

So, whether your houseboat is a place to call home, or just a bolthole where you like to spend serious amounts of time, our excellent ‘All Weather’ policy, combined with our Floating Homes policy extension could be just what you need. Why not get a free, no hassle quote and see if it floats your home.


All Weather Cover

All Weather Boat Insurance

Base Layer Cover

Base Layer Boat Insurance

For full terms and conditions, please read the policy wording that will accompany your quotation

Your Vessel
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Accidental Damage, Theft, Fire, Explosion
Piracy, Vandalism, Deliberate Damage not caused by you
Latent Defect
Electrolysis caused by sudden and identifiable cause
Salvage Charges
Accidental Loss or Damage caused by failure/machinery breakdown, gradual deterioration, and main engine and gearbox component failure
Liability to Others
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Damage to Other Vessels, and Other Property
Death or Injury
Other Financial Losses
Legal Costs to Defend a Claim, and Fees/Expenses to Attend Official Enquiries
Emergency Medical Expenses
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Injuries suffered by you, a family member, or a guest as a result of an accident on board with your permission
Personal Accident
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Permanent total disability which lasts at least 52 weeks
Permanent loss of sight from one or both eyes
Physical severance or permanent loss of use of the entire arm, hand, leg and/or foot
Racing (optional for sailing yachts and automatically included for dinghies)
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Loss or damage to mast, spars, sails and rigging
Loss of race entry fees if unable to participate in an entered race as a result of any loss covered

Optional Marine Legal Protection

We understand that having to claim on your pride and joy can be very stressful and our award winning claims team are here to take the weight off your shoulders.

Before you decide on your level of boat insurance cover we want to share this fully bespoke Marine Legal Protection, this cover is optional and covers potential expenses that are not covered in your boat insurance policy, whether it is your fault or not.

Take a moment to read up on the benefits of this cover below and to help, we have provided some examples of how the cover will work for you.

What is the additional cost?

The cost of this cover comes in at approx £0.04p per day – a total of £15.00 plus Insurance Premium Tax.

Uninsured Loss Recovery

Offers cover to pursue losses not covered under your vessel policy against those who have caused you to suffer loss of, for example, your policy excess or other out-of-pocket expenses.


You’re hit by a third party and damage is caused to your boat. You will be liable to pay your policy excess. If our claims team are unable to make a full recovery your excess will not be returned, as a result you can use the Marine Legal policy to pursue this loss.  

Personal Injury Pursuit

Offers cover to pursue damage claims against a third party whose negligence has resulted in you suffering injury or death.


You’re hit by a third party and as a result you suffer injury. Our policy will pay based on the Personal Accident section, however this cover is limited, certainly in cases whereby you suffer an injury requiring months or years of treatment. You would be able to use the Marine Legal policy to pursue damages for pain and suffering as well as the costs that you may have to pay for ongoing treatment and rehabilitation.

Contract Dispute

Offers cover to pursue a third party following breach of contract for goods or services purchased in relation to the vessel.


You employ the services of a boat yard to carry out maintenance on your boatover the winter period, and your boat is out of the water. The works are carried out but not to the standard agreed upon. You would have no cover or recourse under Haven KJ boat insurance policy, however the Marine Legal policy would provide assistance in relation to breach of contract by the boat yard.

Prosecution Defence

Offers cover to defend you against legal action brought against you in relation to a criminal offence following your ownership or use of the vessel.


You’re arrested under suspicion of trafficking drugs into the country by using your boat. So long as there is a 51% or greater prospect of winning, the Marine Legal policy will assist in proving a legal defence for you.

Identity Fraud

Offers cover for legal costs in dealing with companies who have provided credit to a fraudulent third party in your name and are now seeking recovery from you.


Your identity is stolen and a credit card has been taken out in your name. The credit card is subsequently used up to the limit with no payments made and as a result your credit file is marked with a default. The Marine Legal policy will assist in providing cover for advisors fees to liaise with the credit card company and credit reference agencies to write off the defaulted balance and removing the entry from your credit file.


Emergency Expenses - Max. of £2,500 per year

If the vessel is damaged whilst abroad, this section offers cover for expenses incurred by you to travel back to the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man and subsequently return to the vessel once repairs have been completed.


Your boat is damaged whilst in the Med, 2 months into a 6 month trip. The emergency expense will provide  for you to return to the UK, IOM or CI and subsequently return to the boat in the Med once it has been repaired.

Mooring Fees

Offers cover to reimburse mooring fees that you have paid for your home berth, following illness or injury suffered by you, or damage to the vessel, that in turn prevents you from using your vessel.


You pay for your annual mooring, but a few months later your boat is badly damaged and as a result the boat is moved to a boat yard for 6 months. The Marine Legal policy will provide for the 6 months of mooring fees that you have had to pay your marina.

Temporary Replacement Costs

If the vessel is damage through no fault of your own that results in you being unable to use the vessel for a planned trip, this section covers the cost to bareboat charter a comparable vessel to your own.


You have a 3 week sailing trip planned from the UK to France for your annual holiday. 1 week before the planned trip your boat is damaged in a storm owing to the fact that the mooring provided by the marina was unsuitable and as a result will require months of repairs meaning that you will be unable to go on your planned trip. The Marine Legal policy will provide for the hiring of a similar boat for the trip. There has to be identifiable negligence by a third party, in this case the marina, and you have to be able to provide proof that you had a trip planned.

For enquiries, call us:
+44 (0)1732 223 650
For a boat insurance quote:

“A personal service is at the very core of our business – let us homeshape your houseboat insurance today!”

Donna Maynard, Operations Manager

“Great service. We contacted them early knowing we would be away on our narrowboat. As requested they sent the renewal notice by e-mail and we placed our order straight away.”


Are my valuables covered?

Absolutely! If you have purchased contents cover, your valuables are covered under our Floating Homes policy add on. Just remember, the coverage extends up to the values stated in the policy wording, unless we’ve agreed on something different.

Take a peek at your policy details to get a sense of what’s covered, and if you’ve got any special treasures on board, give us a shout so we can make sure they’re properly protected. It’s smooth sailing when you know your stuff is taken care of!

Are my valuables covered if I take them off the boat?

If you have purchased contents cover, your valuables are covered even when they’re off the boat.  But, make sure you are aware – they’re covered up to the values as stated in your Floating Homes policy add on unless we’ve agreed on something different.

Before you embark on a shore excursion with your prized possessions, take a quick look at your policy details. And if you’ve got any concerns or need to adjust your coverage for those off-boat adventures, just give us a shout. We’ll make sure your treasures are protected every step of the way, whether they’re on deck or off gallivanting on land!

Can I move my houseboat?

Hoist the sails! You’re free to navigate the waters with your houseboat. Just make sure to check your insurance Certificate to see if it lists a cruising range. As long as you’re sailing within that designated area and your houseboat is under its own power (not being towed), you’re good to go. So, yes, you can move your houseboat and explore new horizons – just keep an eye on those policy details to ensure smooth sailing all the way!

Can I rent out my houseboat when not on board?

Unfortunately, our Floating Homes add on policy doesn’t allow for renting out your houseboat when you’re not on board. While it’s tempting to share the joy of houseboat living with others, our policy insurance rules steer clear of this scenario. So, while you can’t rent it out, you can still enjoy your private slice of paradise whenever you’re on board. If you have any further questions about this, feel free to reach out and we’ll be happy to assist you!

If this is how you want to roll, our sister team at Haven Knox-Johnston Specialist down in Poole might be able to help you out. You can find their details here

Is it like house and contents insurance?

While it shares some similarities, our combined All Weather and Floating Homes add on policy isn’t as broad-reaching and doesn’t usually come with those hefty limits you might find in typical house and contents insurance policies. Think of it as a specialised version tailored specifically for your floating abode. It covers what you need to keep your houseboat and belongings safe on the water, but it’s not quite as expansive as traditional home insurance.

If you have any questions about the differences or need more details about what’s covered, just give us a shout – we’re here to help you navigate the waters of insurance!

Does home insurance cover houseboat insurance?

It’s a bit of a different kettle of fish. Your best bet is to reach out to your home insurer directly. We can’t speak for them, but they’ll be able to tell you if your home insurance extends to cover your houseboat or if you’ll need a separate policy to keep your floating home protected. Better safe than sorry, right?

If you need any further assistance or have questions about houseboat insurance specifics, don’t hesitate to reach out – we’re here to lend a hand!

Is houseboat insurance required by law?

Technically, there’s no maritime law mandating houseboat insurance. However, depending on where you plan to moor or sail, river authorities or marinas might have their own rules. They could require you to have insurance to use their facilities or moor in their areas. So while it’s not a legal requirement per se, it’s always a good idea to check with the local authorities, Inland Waterways regulators such as the EA or CRT or marina regulations to make sure you’re shipshape and compliant.

If you have any questions about what’s required or recommended for your houseboat adventures, feel free to reach out – we’re here to steer you in the right direction!

Can you live on a houseboat permanently?

Absolutely, you can call a houseboat your permanent home sweet home. You just have to make sure you comply with the regulations of the marina or the waterway on which you are based. After all, that’s what they can be designed for – providing a cozy abode on the water! While you can also use it as a holiday getaway, it’s essential to note that the coverage might differ if it’s your full-time abode versus a part-time retreat.

If you’re considering making your houseboat your full-time residence, it’s a good idea to chat with us about your insurance needs and ensure your coverage matches your lifestyle afloat. Smooth sailing ahead!

Want to learn more about our boat insurance policies?