Boat owners and Brexit

What it means for you

Boat Owners and Brexit

Which Haven Knox-Johnston branch
will I be with after Brexit?

Answer the questions below to find out who’ll be looking after you and your cover from 1 January 2021.

Our EU office can deal with your policy.
Head over to

Who are the EEA Member States?

Countries that belong to the EEA include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.

Who’s looking after me, post-Brexit?

From 18 January 2021, Haven Knox-Johnston has two branches – one in the UK, and the other in the Republic of Ireland. This means we can keep providing first-rate boat insurance, service, and claims support to our existing EEA customers after the transition period ends on 31 December 2020.

If I have two boats, one in the UK and another registered in a EEA member state, which HK-J branch will be looking after my policies?

Both branches will be looking after you. HK-J UK will take care of your UK-registered boat, while HK-J Europe will cover your EEA-registered boat.

What happens when it’s time to renew my policy?

If there’s a chance your boat policy could come under EEA rules (even if you bought your cover from Amlin Boat Insure), a crewmate at HK-J Europe will be in touch with you before your renewal is due. You’ll be offered the same first-rate cover at the same great price, and you’ll enjoy the same quality customer service.

Will it cost more if I deal with HK-J Europe?

No, Not at all, the only difference being the currencies you pay your premium in. From 1st January if you are a direct HKJ UK customer, you can still pay in other currencies but you won’t be able to pay in € EUR as this is one of our EEA triggers. But, if you’re with HK-J Europe, you can pay in € EUR plus some other currencies too (though we’ve stopped taking doubloons and pieces of eight…) – you just need to speak with your local office to find out which currencies are acceptable?