Dinghy insurance

If you're taking your dinghy out to sea, racing or just getting on the water, protect it with our specialist dinghy insurance.

Dinghy Insurance
For enquiries, call us:
+44 (0)1732 223 650
For a dinghy insurance quote:

Dinghy Insurance with Haven Knox-Johnston

Insure your dinghy with
Haven Knox-Johnston

The dinghy is an all-round favourite – there’s a type to suit all temperaments, and all kinds of water. But whether you use yours for racing or recreation, you’ll want to know you’re fully covered when you set out from the shore with our dinghy insurance policies.

So take a look at our dinghy insurance, and see which policy floats your boat. Our ‘Base Layer’ boat insurance option is ideal if you only want third party cover, while our comprehensive ‘All Weather’ policy offers more protection. And with more than thirty years’ experience and enthusiasm behind us, you can trust us to cover your pride and joy.


All Weather Cover

All Weather Boat Insurance 

Base Layer Cover

Base Layer Boat Insurance

For full terms and conditions, please read the policy wording that will accompany your quotation

Your Vessel
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Accidental Damage, Theft, Fire, Explosion
Piracy, Vandalism, Deliberate Damage not caused by you
Latent Defect
Electrolysis caused by sudden and identifiable cause
Salvage Charges
Accidental Loss or Damage caused by failure/machinery breakdown, gradual deterioration, and main engine and gearbox component failure
Liability to Others
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Damage to Other Vessels, and Other Property
Death or Injury
Other Financial Losses
Legal Costs to Defend a Claim, and Fees/Expenses to Attend Official Enquiries
Emergency Medical Expenses
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Injuries suffered by you, a family member, or a guest as a result of an accident on board with your permission
Personal Accident
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Permanent total disability which lasts at least 52 weeks
Permanent loss of sight from one or both eyes
Physical severance or permanent loss of use of the entire arm, hand, leg and/or foot
Racing (optional for sailing yachts and automatically included for dinghies)
All Weather Insurance
Base Layer Insurance
Loss or damage to mast, spars, sails and rigging
Loss of race entry fees if unable to participate in an entered race as a result of any loss covered

Optional Marine Legal Protection

We understand that having to claim on your pride and joy can be very stressful and our award winning claims team are here to take the weight off your shoulders.

Before you decide on your level of dinghy insurance cover we want to share this fully bespoke Marine Legal Protection, this cover is optional and covers potential expenses that are not covered in your dinghy insurance policy, whether it is your fault or not.

Take a moment to read up on the benefits of this cover below and to help, we have provided some examples of how the dinghy cover will work for you.

What is the additional cost?

The cost of this cover comes in at approx £0.04p per day – a total of £15.00 plus Insurance Premium Tax.

Uninsured Loss Recovery

Offers cover to pursue losses not covered under your vessel policy against those who have caused you to suffer loss of, for example, your policy excess or other out-of-pocket expenses.


You’re hit by a third party and damage is caused to your boat. You will be liable to pay your policy excess. If our claims team are unable to make a full recovery your excess will not be returned, as a result you can use the Marine Legal policy to pursue this loss.  

Personal Injury Pursuit

Offers cover to pursue damage claims against a third party whose negligence has resulted in you suffering injury or death.


You’re hit by a third party and as a result you suffer injury. Our policy will pay based on the Personal Accident section, however this cover is limited, certainly in cases whereby you suffer an injury requiring months or years of treatment. You would be able to use the Marine Legal policy to pursue damages for pain and suffering as well as the costs that you may have to pay for ongoing treatment and rehabilitation.

Contract Dispute

Offers cover to pursue a third party following breach of contract for goods or services purchased in relation to the vessel.


You employ the services of a boat yard to carry out maintenance on your boatover the winter period, and your boat is out of the water. The works are carried out but not to the standard agreed upon. You would have no cover or recourse under Haven KJ boat insurance policy, however the Marine Legal policy would provide assistance in relation to breach of contract by the boat yard.

Prosecution Defence

Offers cover to defend you against legal action brought against you in relation to a criminal offence following your ownership or use of the vessel.


You’re arrested under suspicion of trafficking drugs into the country by using your boat. So long as there is a 51% or greater prospect of winning, the Marine Legal policy will assist in proving a legal defence for you.

Identity Fraud

Offers cover for legal costs in dealing with companies who have provided credit to a fraudulent third party in your name and are now seeking recovery from you.


Your identity is stolen and a credit card has been taken out in your name. The credit card is subsequently used up to the limit with no payments made and as a result your credit file is marked with a default. The Marine Legal policy will assist in providing cover for advisors fees to liaise with the credit card company and credit reference agencies to write off the defaulted balance and removing the entry from your credit file.


Emergency Expenses - Max. of £2,500 per year

If the vessel is damaged whilst abroad, this section offers cover for expenses incurred by you to travel back to the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man and subsequently return to the vessel once repairs have been completed.


Your boat is damaged whilst in the Med, 2 months into a 6 month trip. The emergency expense will provide  for you to return to the UK, IOM or CI and subsequently return to the boat in the Med once it has been repaired.

Mooring Fees

Offers cover to reimburse mooring fees that you have paid for your home berth, following illness or injury suffered by you, or damage to the vessel, that in turn prevents you from using your vessel.


You pay for your annual mooring, but a few months later your boat is badly damaged and as a result the boat is moved to a boat yard for 6 months. The Marine Legal policy will provide for the 6 months of mooring fees that you have had to pay your marina.

Temporary Replacement Costs

If the vessel is damage through no fault of your own that results in you being unable to use the vessel for a planned trip, this section covers the cost to bareboat charter a comparable vessel to your own.


You have a 3 week sailing trip planned from the UK to France for your annual holiday. 1 week before the planned trip your boat is damaged in a storm owing to the fact that the mooring provided by the marina was unsuitable and as a result will require months of repairs meaning that you will be unable to go on your planned trip. The Marine Legal policy will provide for the hiring of a similar boat for the trip. There has to be identifiable negligence by a third party, in this case the marina, and you have to be able to provide proof that you had a trip planned.

For enquiries, call us:
+44 (0)1732 223 650
For a boat insurance quote:

“We are experts in underwriting, with both technical capability and deep knowledge of the areas we insure.”

– Kayley Prebble, Underwriter (Marine)

I have a yacht & a dinghy insured with HK-J and my details were assessed very promptly and a new insurance arranged for my new Gull dinghy. Helpful, reactive response during call. Very satisfied.”

Mr Wilfred Bishop, find all our reviews here!


Who can sail my dinghy?

Apart from the restrictions noted below, dinghy insurance usually does cover anyone driving your boat with your permission. That said, minors under 18 years old are not normally covered to drive the vessel without an adult being on board and in charge at all times. 

If there’s someone who’ll regularly use your boat, with or without you being on board, it’s a good idea to inform the insurer. Give the person’s name, age, record, and experience, together with any claims history they may have.

Make sure anyone borrowing your boat is aware of any limitations in the policy – for example, about where the boat may be used or moored. Our Haven Knox-Johnston ‘All Weather’ boat insurance policy has this to say about who may drive your boat:

  • If you let someone else take charge of your vessel, you must make sure they have enough experience to do so safely.
  • There’s no liability cover for anyone operating, managing or working on the vessel who is employed by a shipyard, repair yard, marina, yacht club, sales agency, delivery contractor or similar organisation. So if anyone covered by these categories is going to drive your boat, it’s essential they confirm they have their own professional indemnity cover.
  • If you’re lending your boat for any form of compensation, this won’t be considered ‘private pleasure use’, but rather ‘hire or reward’. Hire or reward is normally excluded under insurance policies unless insurers have given their prior agreement to such use.
  • If you’re arranging for a delivery skipper to sail or deliver your vessel, you should get a copy of the skipper and crew’s sailing CV, and make sure they have the appropriate professional indemnity in place – insurers often want to see this before agreeing cover. 

The above is for information purposes only. It’s not intended to define legal terms, or to affect the interpretation of any policy we may issue. If you have any questions about your insurance, the best thing to do is get your particular questions answered individually by your insurance broker or insurer.

What should I look out for in dinghy insurance cover?

Dinghies how much do we love thee? Let us count the ways. From racing to family boats, sailing single-handedly to being part of a crew, there is such a huge range of dinghies both on and off the water that it’s important to find the best dinghy insurance policy for you. We always advise you to think ahead, if your dinghy is going to be in transit or storage, on a trolley or trailer or racing at sea, you will need to ensure that your dinghy insurance policy provides the right protection for your needs. Don’t forget that most sailing clubs and launch sites often have their own requirements and will, at least, require evidence of holding 3rd party liability.

Why do I need dinghy insurance?

Even if all you need is to get a dinghy from A to B, life is just not that straightforward. Dinghy insurance provides a safety net when things aren’t always just plain sailing.

Life without a dinghy, would frankly just be, dingy, and dinghy insurance can provide financial security and peace of mind against third party claims, loss or damage to your pride and joy.

What does dinghy insurance not cover?

Always check your dinghy insurance policy with your insurer and make sure it meets your future plans.

If this year’s plan is to take your dinghy off racing, then make sure race cover is included in your dinghy insurance cover or that extra cost may not have you feeling so active.

If you are taking your dinghy out on the road, then check any conditions for transportation under your dinghy insurance cover, or you may not be able to go the distance.

If your dinghy is taking some time out of the water, then check for any restrictions that apply on your dinghy insurance cover, particularly around theft or malicious damage or you may not be left feeling so buoyant.

Finally, like all the best relationships, you have to give your dinghy some regular care and attention; lack of upkeep, general wear and tear and improper storage of your dinghy could all affect your cover. Your insurance policy is not a maintenance contract. Check out Haven’s Helpful Hints for tips on how to remedy some of these!

How much does dinghy insurance cost?

At Haven KJ, we see sailing dinghies for life, not just for a season; that’s why our boat insurance is often much cheaper than people expect.

Of course, (engine) size matters – as does the make and model, age, maintenance, value, location, storage and use. However, you’ll find insuring a dinghy for normal use is a nautical yarn size cheaper than you might think.

Is boat insurance a legal requirement as a boat owner?

Surprisingly not – maybe it’s our long nautical history as pirates and vagabonds but dinghy insurance is not compulsory in the UK.

It might not be a legal requirement of all waterways, but the risk of piratical boarding aside, we are talking about the potential damage to high value possessions and the possibility of injury.

If that doesn’t make you shiver your timbers then most marinas require at least third-party liability (our Base Layer policy) as a minimum. International territories including Spain, Italy and Greece require proof of the same. Luckily, we can supply you with relevant dinghy insurance documents to prove you have it.

What level of dinghy cover do I need?

The first question to ask yourself is what is on your boating wish list this year? Which direction will the wind or currents take you, and are you planning any races to get there?

Our Base Layer (third party) cover offers security for pleasure sailing, covering third party claims against you and worst-case scenarios of injury and more..

Or for the full bells, whistles and foghorns, our All Weather (all risks) policy covers you from fire, theft, vandalism, accidental damage, emergency medical expenses, personal accidents and a whole ship-load more.

Finally, we thought we should mention that, although we don’t like to blow our own foghorn, both our third party and all risk dinghy insurance policies automatically includes racing cover as standard.

Want to learn more about our boat insurance policies?